A Partnership of Pittsburgh Public Schools, Grow Pittsburgh and Let’s Move Pittsburgh
In an effort to enhance farm to school education in Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS), PPS, Grow Pittsburgh and Let’s Move Pittsburgh (LMP) are piloting a Harvest of the Month program for the month of May. The primary program activities include selecting a type of produce that is being harvested in the Grow Pittsburgh garden and featuring it in school meals each Thursday. Educational activities at lunch and in established Grow Pittsburgh programs will supplement the lunchroom promotion of the produce. The May program will be a pilot round for the next school year.
This month’s pilot harvest is green peas. On the first 4 Thursdays during the month of May, Couscous & Green Pea Salad will be served in cafeterias across the district. Look for the pea symbol on the menu, and give the dish a try!
The goals of this project are to:
- Increase student awareness of seasonal produce
- Link garden education to the lunchroom
- Educate students about the nutritional value of harvest of the month
- Nudge students towards healthier choices in the lunchroom
- Expose students to new, healthy recipes through school meals